Stress is inevitable in life. It can be in the form of meeting deadlines, stuck in a jam, or getting into a fight with your partner. All these can make your body react in either fight or flight response. However, being under stress for too long can make your body more vulnerable to life-threatening health problems.
Try these are 8 easy ways in times of stress:
- Think positively. Being optimistic helps in stressful situations. Do not let stress affect our mind and keep focusing on the positive side of things. What we think may result in decisions that can lead to better or worst situations. Thinking positively helps in making good decisions.
- Change your response to stress. Being able to manage stress means developing positive strategies to deal with stress. Think of stress as a reaction rather than an event. It makes it easier to identify healthier ways to manage stress.
- Task division. No man is an island. As a human being, we cannot survive being on our own. So do not try to handle all the tasks by yourself. Try to divide up all the tasks and if possible get your colleagues or friends to help out. It helps to strengthen the bonds between you and them as well.
- Manage your time. Time is such that once you lost it, you can never get it back. Managing your time to have a fulfilling life and meeting deadlines on time will help to keep life on track.
- Learn your priorities. Our behavior towards ourselves and others may also contribute towards stress. Sometimes it is important to say no towards requests that you find it hard to meet. Keep in mind that by saying ‘yes’ to everything may please everyone but you may add on more stress and cause disappointment if the target is not meet.
- Meditate to take a break. Meditation techniques have long been used to calm mind and reduce stress. Search for a suitable meditation technique and when you feel stress, perform it while taking a break to make you relax and get a clearer mind.
- Always be cool. Remember that stress is normal. However, it is important to keep your cool. Focus on the situation to gain control and don’t give up. Try your best to remedy the situation. An easy way to remain cool and distributing your load it to use four As of managing stress: avoid, alter, adapt, or accept.
- Strong social network. Having a strong support from family, friends, peers or colleagues is important to help you through the stress. This is something that you can cultivate when you are not under stress and helps you to feel that there is someone who will be there if you need them. Try getting together for dinner, calling your parents/long lost buddies, chatting with colleagues or having coffee to help reduce stress while helping to build a bond with people around you.